Assistant Landscape Designer
LOCATION: We operate hybrid working from our Studio in Thame Oxfordshire and some home working
SALARY: Dependent on Experience
HollandGreen is recruiting an Assistant Landscape Designer to join our friendly, design-led team based from our Studio in Thame, Oxfordshire.
As an award-winning architecture, interior design, landscape design and project management Practice, we have developed an incredible portfolio of high-profile projects across London, Oxfordshire, the Cotswolds and the home counties.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Assistant Landscape Designer to assist Project Leaders on all projects and coordinate client/contractor/ supplier relationships as well as a wider team of designer and consultants. You should be able to work on all parts of the design process from concept, construction detailing, and project delivery, working successfully on your own and as a part of the team.
Job Context and Dimensions
- Assisting Project Leaders, Associates and Directors on all aspects of the design process- from initial client meeting, through all design stages, to the build and final handover.
- Understanding your client’s objectives, requirements, and budget for the project.
- Advising your client on the practicality of their project and offering advice.
- Assisting on day-to-day operational aspects of the projects, including procurement, finances, and invoicing.
- Managing you own workload and resourcing on projects as well as delegating to direct reports.
- Making sure that each stage of the project is progressing on time and on budget.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and appropriately stored.
- Production of tender and construction packages: drawings, schedules, and specifications.
- Ensuring clients and wider design team are always kept up to speed on projects and reporting regularly on progress to the Management team and Directors.
- Coordinating work by external consultants and internally with the rest of the team.
- Assisting with tender processes: Documentation, issuing and analysing.
- Site inspections: Liaison with contractors on site, responding to RFI’s, managing site procedures & producing documentation.
- Resolving any problems and issues that arise during the design or construction.
- Escalating any issues to Associates and the Management team that are likely to negatively affect the client’s view of HollandGreen.
- Strive to become a Project Lead level by developing your skillset and knowledge.
- Any other ad-hoc responsibility that may arise as part of a project.
- Diploma / Degree in Landscape Architecture / Garden Design or similar.
Your Skills and Attributes:
- Good Horticultural and plant knowledge.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills. The role will involve dealing directly with clients, contractors, suppliers and other members of the wider design and delivery teams.
- A high level of design ability. From freehand sketching through to construction detailing.
- Ability to work effectively both individually and with a team.
- Proficient in Microsoft and Adobe programmes such as InDesign, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook etc.
- Proficient in Vectorworks, ArchiCAD is beneficial, training will be provided.
- Ability to work accurately and efficiently with effective project documentation management.
- Self-motivated with a passion for design, knowledge of the landscaping industry and happy to work as part of a collaborative team.
- Self-aware, responsible, and reliable. Able to take direction on designs and processes from senior team members.
- Receptive; able to give and receive feedback constructively; flexible and open to new ideas and training.
- Driven with a positive, can-do attitude; well organised; goes the extra mile; rigorous attention to detail.
- Excellent time management and multi-tasking skills, with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Good technical design and detailing skills with ability to articulate high-quality and detailed schemes.
- Good industry knowledge and network, keeping up to date with the latest trends, products and services.
- Beneficial; two years’ UK experience in the delivery of high-end landscape projects for HNW clients.
- Developing both masterplans and technical/construction drawings and specifications; of translating designs into actual implementation.
- Beneficial; experience in the planning process and submitting relevant drawings and information for planning applications.
- Understanding of Health and Safety and CDM’s.
- Good understanding of project costs, finances, proposal, and fee writing.
- Project management software, administering contracts, and overseeing projects from initial client meeting, through all design stages, to the build and final handover.
- Beneficial; experience of site inspections and site supervision of independent contractors and specialists
- Managing schedules and budgets to produce on-budget, on-time projects with researched and considered solutions to challenges.
- Good project management and coordination skills with experience of working under pressure and completing work to the highest standard for deadlines.
- Knowledge of sourcing garden furnishings and features, planting, specimen trees etc.
UK Driving Licence
All candidates must be eligible to work in the UK.
In return we will offer:
- A friendly and supportive working environment
- Trust-based, flexible working hours driven by allocated tasks and milestones and time-managed by individuals
- CPD’s, in-house training and contribution to personal training and development
- Opportunity for role development
- Company pension
- Private health insurance
- Employee assistance programme and other well-being benefits
Interested? Get in touch
If you believe you are the right person to join us, please email a copy of your CV with key projects & images and/or your online CV/Portfolio to:
Tell us about yourself, your recent job experiences, your education and why you would be a good fit for HollandGreen.
Please get in touch directly, as we will not be accepting recruitment agency calls/emails. Thank you