The first step to Creating Your Wonderful Living Space
Ben or Stephen are always delighted to take a look at your Project. We will offer you unbiased advice on what might, or might not, be possible from a Planning and a Design point of view and talk you through the process from getting your initial ideas into a workable design to negotiating the planning maze and ultimately selecting the right builder for your Project.
Our Developing Your Brief Questionnaire provides us with some background information about what you require to ensure we focus our research before we meet. It takes just a couple of minutes to fill in the form so if you would be kind enough to do that first, we will give you a call back once we have had a chance to review it.
Once we have your ‘Developing Your Brief’ questionnaire we’ll be able to undertake a little research around your project and arrange a time for you to drop into your closest office to discuss how we may be able to assist you. We will cover all the information outlined in the ‘Home Consultation’ below and be able to show you some recent examples of similar work that we have undertaken. We do not charge for this service and simply need to get a suitable date and time in the diary.
The Home Consultation (as the title implies) happens at your home or the site to be developed. At the meeting we’ll tell you what adds value and what doesn’t, why you should do one type of improvement rather than another and provide you with a clear understanding of what to do next and importantly what it is likely to cost.
Whether you are renovating, extending or buying we can provide you with a wealth of information that will make the next step in the process far less daunting. Below are a few of the questions we answer during your Home Consultation:
- What are the best internal layouts to suit my space and family.
- What are the main planning issues?
- What about the Party Wall and my neighbours Right to Light?
- What is it likely cost to get Planning Permission or Permitted Development Approval and what time-scales are involved?
- How do I get a rough estimate of what the project is likely to cost?
- How can I ensure I choose a good local builder?
- What is the best way to get the most competitive quote for the works?
- Will I need an Architect or Project Manager throughout the project?
- What is the process from now to completion?
- How do I ensure that the Main Contractor or Builder builds exactly what we want to the quality we require?
- What happens next?
“…..Stephen undertook some research before meeting us to find out about previous planning applications and the availability of permitted development rights. Our meeting with him was very useful – he was able to look around the house and, having done the research beforehand, he could provide us with constructive and specific advice about what is likely to be possible and how we might go about doing it. It has given us plenty to think about and will enable us to focus better on what we really want now that we have a better idea of what we might actually be able to achieve.” Rebecca Wales – Guildford
We charge a nominal fee of £125 + VAT to cover time away from the Office for this Service and it is probably worth having a look at our Fees and Disbursements page here to understand the other likely costs moving forward.
If you are keen to further explore the design possibilities for your project and get a more detailed understanding of the planning, legal, time and cost implications, we have introduced our new Development Appraisal for a fixed fee of £4,995 + VAT.
This appraisal will explore a number of design options and the likely costs and timings, as well as the relative planning risks of each option. Following a meeting with you at the property to discuss your plans, we will prepare a detailed document to include the following:
- Generate concept sketch options to explore the best layouts to meet your brief, and explore different design ideas for the outside of the property. This will typically include hand sketches and possibly simple external 3D renders, based on any agent’s or other plans available.
- Advice on the relevant planning policies and legislation, and an assessment of the relative planning risks of the concept options.
- An assessment of any legal or tax implications including Party Walls, freeholder consents, and development taxes.
- Indicative costings to assess the likely construction costs and associated fees for the concept options.
- An indicative project programme for the initial design, planning, technical design and construction phases.
The fixed fee of £4,995 + VAT includes and initial meeting with you at the property, preparation of the detailed report, and a further meeting with you at our offices to present the report. If you decide to proceed with the Development Appraisal following a Home Consultation, we will waive the initial £125 + VAT fee.