Back to faqs

Party Wall

What is a Party Wall Notice?

The Party Wall Act requires a written “Party Wall Notice” to be served on adjoining neighbours affected by works under the Act.  HollanGreen can generate a Party Wall Notice and serve them directly on your neighbour(s) by post on your behalf. Please do call or email and we’ll give you a quote for this work.

London townhouse contemporary rear renovation architects

Once you have served a Party Wall Notice upon your neighbour he/she has 14 days in which to respond in writing. If he/she requests a “Party Wall Award” or does not respond to you within the 14 days then both you and your neighbour must appoint Party Wall surveyors under section 10 of the Party Wall Act. You can either jointly agree upon a single party wall surveyor or you can each appoint different party wall surveyors.

If you have already spoken with your neighbours and they have said that they do not require a party wall surveyor then you may wish to purchase a party wall agreement and give it to your neighbours to sign. There is no need to serve a separate party wall notice in this case.

If you have not spoken with your neighbours or do not know whether they will require a party wall surveyor then you should first serve a Party Wall Notice.  Your neighbour can then decide whether they wish to appoint a party wall surveyor or sign a Party Wall Agreement. If your neighbours decide to appoint a party wall surveyor after receiving the Party Wall Notice then you will also need to appoint a surveyor. We have several Party Wall Surveyors that we have worked closely with in the past and will be happy to provide you with their contact details.